Invitation to the SUMEX MOOC – Massive Open Online Course starts on 7 November 2022
Mineral extraction is crucial to Europe’s twin digital and green transition. It is essential that these minerals are not extracted at the expense of the environment and people. In order to have a truly green transition, we also need sustainable management in the extractive sector: Minimising the environmental footprint of an extraction project while at the same time contributing to a local and societal license to operate. This transition to sustainable management is challenging, both for policy and industry.
The SUMEX Massive Open Online Course will address five key challenges that industry and policy face in this transition. The course makes use of scientific concepts and holistic sustainability concepts at the operational level and will outline potential solutions based on practical examples applicable across Europe.
What is in it for you?
- Design, with other stakeholders, new sustainable management practices
- Explain the environmental and societal impact of mineral extraction
- Analyse environmental impact using tools such as the three pillars of sustainability
- Discover sustainable management best practice in policy and industry
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Reflect on the importance of a coherent approach to a sustainability framework in the extractive sector
- Explain the societal relevance of raw material extraction
- Investigate the main pillars of sustainable extractive management
- Apply sustainability frameworks for mineral extraction to different institutional and local contexts
- Identify and evaluate good practices in the extractive industry in a critical manner
- Discuss with experts and peers the current state and related challenges of the European extractive sector
- Explore the SUMEX and other important tools about good practice learning
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for leaders, managers and stakeholders in the mineral extractive industry who want to learn about the challenges, solutions and new developments in sustainability.
It will be especially useful for public administrators and industry practitioners wishing to understand and implement sustainability management at any stage of the mining life cycle, from exploration to post-closure.
This course also benefits those interested in the importance of raw materials for a sustainable future and the challenges connected to them!